Passport Application for Minors


Passport application for minors

Who can apply for a child?

  • The child has to be present at the Embassy, irrespective of his/her age
  • All legal guardians must submit the application jointly. In almost all cases that would mean that both parents must appear in person at the German Mission.
    If one parent cannot come to the German Mission in person, the following must be presented:
    • Written parental consent with a certified signature.
      Only certifications by German authorities (e.g. Embassy/Consulate, notaries, town officials in Germany) will be accepted. Malaysian certifications will not be accepted.
    • Court ruling proving sole guardianship or sole right to determine the place of residence of the child
    • Death certificate of the other parent

How do we apply?

  • Read the information carefully
  • Compile the necessary documents
  • Fill in the application form (see link below)
  • Book an online appointment
  • Bring all documents in the original, plus one copy. Incomplete applications cannot be processed

What are the required documents?

  1. Application form, completed
  2. Original passport and a copy of the data page (unless applying for the first time)
  3. Birth certificate in the original, plus one copy
  4. Passports of the parents in the original, plus one copy of each data page
  5. Current Malaysian residence permit/visa
  6. If applicable, deregistration certificate from Germany. If you are still registered in Germany, the passport can only be issued after authorization by the relevant passport authority. The authorization will be obtained by the Embassy.
  7. Proof of residence in Malaysia (e.g. rental contract, employment contract or utility bill)
  8. Two identical biometric passport photos

Other documents may be required for proof on a case-on-case basis. For example:

  • Marriage certificate of parents in the original, plus one copy
  • If applicable, declaration of the child's name
  • If applicable, previous passport of the child, in the original, plus one copy
  • Certificate of acknowledgement of paternity or Malaysian birth certificate in which father and mother are named

What kind of passport can we choose?

Biometric Passport

Children's passport (non-biometric)

no age restriction

for children up to the age of 12

validity period: 6 years

validity period: 1 year

“regular” passport, biometric for children of 6 years and older

will be printed at the Embassy; not biometric, only a few pages for visas and stamps

produced in 6-8 weeks

produced in 1 week

can be  used to enter all countries, which recognize the German passport

cannot be used for visa-free entry to all countries (e.g. not recognized by the USA for visa-free entry)

Passport fees

Are you NOT a resident in the German Mission's Consular District or do you retain a German place of residence? Then the increased fee including surcharge for applications out of jurisdiction apply to you.

Passport Fees

Validity and Revalidation of Malaysian Visa

The Embassy points out that according to Malaysian law, a Malaysian visa automatically loses its validity if the passport containing the visa becomes invalid. This is the case, for example, when a new passport is issued and the previous passport is invalidated. You will then have to apply for the visa to be transferred into your new passport with the Malaysian Immigration Department.

Change of place of residence in passport or identity card

If you do not have a residence (apartment, house) in Germany anymore, you are required by law to “deregister” in Germany within two weeks. Failure to do so constitutes an offence and can be fined with up to 1,000 euros.

If you have deregistered in Germany, the Embassy can change the place of residence entry in your passport.

To do this, you must appear in person and present the following documents (original and additional copy):

  • Fully completed and signed application form 
  • The passport to be changed
  • Deregistration certificate from Germany
  • Proof of residence for Malaysia (e.g. rental contract, employment contract or gas, water, electricity bill)

If you wish to have the place of residence changed in your child's passport, both guardians must appear in person and together and submit the above documents.

The change in the passport is free of charge.

Please book an online Appointment.


Book an appointment

For all consular matters and collection of visas, passports and other documents, you must make an online appointment: Appointment system For notarizations such as affidavits, applications for…

Appointment system

Top of page