Employment Visa (Academic qualification)

09.02.2024 - Article

General Information

If you have completed a course of study outside Germany, you can obtain a residence permit under Section 18b of the Residence Act (AufenthG) in order to take up qualified employment in Germany as a skilled worker.

To apply, you must meet the following requirements:

- Your qualification must be recognised in Germany. If you want to work in a regulated profession, such as a healthcare profession, you will need a licence to practise.

- A specific job offer from an employer in Germany. It is important that the job you are offered is a qualified position. This means that you will usually need a degree or qualified vocational training to do the job. Auxiliary tasks will not be sufficient for this purpose.

- Your job does not have to be related to your professional qualifications.

Please note that there are academic degrees in Germany that are considered as vocational training. Further information is available on the website on the portal for qualified professionals: www.make-it-in-germany.com.

Online Application via the Foreign Office's Foreign Portal

You can easily apply for your visa online through the Foreign Office's Foreign Portal. We assist you in preparing the documents through pre-examination. You can check your application status online at any time.

Here is how the online application process works:

Step 1: Fill out your online application form and upload your documents.

Step 2: Submit your application. Your information and documents will be checked for completeness. You will receive feedback online. If your application is complete, you will receive a link to book an appointment.

Step 3: Book an appointment with our visa section online through the provided link.

Step 4: Attend your on-site appointment. During this appointment, your identity will be verified, and your biometric data (fingerprints and photo) will be captured. You can then pay the fee.

Step 5: Track your application status online.


On-Site Application at Your Foreign Mission

You can also apply for the visa on-site at the Embassy. To do this, prepare the necessary documents and then schedule an appointment via our online appointment system. The documents will be checked for completeness only during the appointment. If there are missing documents, an additional appointment at the embassy may be necessary.

Further Information

The Embassy generally issues visas with a minimum validity of 90 days, allowing multiple entries. Shortly after entering Germany, the visa holder must contact the responsible Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany, which then issues the final Residence Permit.

Visa Fee: Fees

Processing time: min. 2 weeks

Required Documents

In your application form (VIDEX), you provide all information about your entry and stay in Germany. You need to fill out this form and print it once.
If you are a minor, your legal representatives must sign the application and declare your consent.
Videx User Guidelines

With white or light grey background, not older than 6 months (Photo requirements)

Data page and signature page only

Applicable to non-Malaysians only.

For security reasons, ePasses are not accepted. Please make sure you have the permit as a visa sticker in your passport

With details of gross annual salary, signed by both parties or a written binding invitation letter from your employer

To be filled out by your employer in Germany - to be downloaded via https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/unternehmen/arbeitskraefte/beschaeftigung-beantragen)

If you enter before the commencement of statutory health insurance coverage, you must obtain an appropriate supplementary insurance.

The curriculum vitae can be submitted in English or in German.

Please note that for the use of non-EU-documents, legalization or an apostille is required. This confirms that the document has indeed been issued by an official authority.

Please provide search result from the anabin website or statement of comparability from the German Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB)

The recognition of your University Degree and Degree course title can be verified through the Database on the Anabin website http://anabin.kmk.org.

Please refer to the following table:

University status

Evaluation of the degree (equivalence class)

Comparability with a German university degree


corresponding or equivalent



conditionally comparable



corresponding or equivalent or conditionally comparable



The degree is listed with the university and classified as corresponding or equivalent



The degree is not listed with the university and classified as corresponding or equivalent



The degree is listed with the university and classified as conditionally comparable



The degree is not listed with the university and classified as conditionally comparable


Should there be no comparability with a German University/ Degree a statement of comparability has to be applied from the Central Office of International Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen) (ZAB) zabservice@kmk.org

Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications

The Statement of Comparability is an official document issued by the “Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen” (Central Office for Foreign Education – ZAB) that describes a foreign higher education qualification, its professional and academic usage. The ZAB Statement of Comparability can facilitate access to the German labour market for holders of foreign higher education qualifications. It is a comparative assessment but not a recognition certificate.


Proof of German language proficiency corresponding to your intended employment (A2-B1) or a letter from your employer stating that your existing language skills are sufficient.

If you are 45 years or above and do not have an annual minimum gross salary of 49,830 euros (2024), you must provide evidence of adequate pension provision.

If your employer has arranged for a Prior ZAV-Approval, kindly submit this document as well.
A professional practice permit is only required for the practice of a regulated profession in Germany, such as in the fields of medicine and law. You will obtain this document from the relevant recognition authority in Germany.
Please check the “Recognition in Germany” information portal to find out whether your profession is regulated.

The above list may not be comprehensive and is updated frequently. Additional documents may be required in individual cases. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and you may be asked to book another appointment. Applicants may be called in for an interview.

Checking of visa processing status can only be done 12 weeks after the date of submission and via email. Any status request before that will not be entertained

All data contained herein is based on the knowledge and experience of the German Embassy Kuala Lumpur at the time of drafting this information sheet. However, no liability can be assumed for the completeness and accuracy.

Top of page