Schengen Visa Application Form - VIDEX
VIDEX - General User Guidelines and Application Form (fillable online)
IDEX - General User Guidelines
Welcome to VIDEX, the software of the Federal Republic of Germany which enables you to complete your application form for a Schengen visa online. We want to make VIDEX as easy as possible, so here is all the relevant information on how to use VIDEX and how to submit your application.
When can I use VIDEX?
VIDEX is designed only for applications for a short-term visa for a stay of up to 90 days in the Schengen states (Schengen visa). Applications for visas for longer stays in Germany (e.g. for studies, work, family reunion) cannot be completed using VIDEX.
You will need the following hardware and software to use VIDEX:
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Firefox 8.0 or Internet Explorer IE 8
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10
- A printer
Preparing to complete your visa application
If you have started to complete the form but then stop working on it for more than 10 minutes, your data will be deleted! In order to avoid this, please have the following documents at hand before starting to complete the form:
- Your travel document (Please note that your travel document must be valid for at least three months after the end of your planned trip. Only travel documents that have been issued (not extended!) during the past 10 years can be endorsed with a visa)
- Your travel or flight schedule
- An address in Germany
- Hotel reservation, if applicable
- Letter of invitation, if applicable
To complete the application
- Choose a language. Choose the language for your application form (English or German).
- Permitted characters. Please answer all questions using Latin letters. Applications completed using other characters cannot be saved or printed. The following special characters are also permitted: ÄÖÜß.+-,’. In fields requiring an email address “@” is permitted as well.
- Entering Dates. If asked for dates, please enter the data as follows (Gregorian calendar): year (4 digits)-month (2 digits)-day (2 digits), separated with a hyphen (-).
- To save an application. You can save your application on your computer once you have entered at least the family name and date of birth. The application will be saved in the file on your computer that you have chosen as the designated storage space for all data downloaded from the internet. If you would like to save it in a different location please choose one in your browser.
- To print a visa application. In order to print a visa application you will have to fill in the form completely and answer all relevant questions. Printing includes:
- the application form (please remember to sign the form)
- instruction according to Section 55 (2) (1) of the Residence Act (please sign the instruction)
- barcodes with your VIDEX-encrypted data
To apply for a visa
You cannot submit your visa application online. You must apply for a visa at the German Embassy.
To apply please bring the following documents with you:
- Visa application form (please sign this form)
- Instruction according to Section 55 (2) (1) of the Residence Act (please sign the instruction)
- Barcodes with your VIDEX-encrypted data
- Any necessary additional documents. The required documents depend on the type of visa you are applying for. Please refer to the information provided on the website of the Embassy.
Which German Embassy or Consulate General is responsible?
The responsible German Embassy is the one in whose district you have your place of habitual residence.