Change of place of residence in passport or identity card


Change of Residence

If you do not have a residence (apartment, house) in Germany anymore, you are required by law to “deregister” in Germany within two weeks. Failure to do so constitutes an offence and can be fined with up to 1,000 euros.

If you have deregistered in Germany, the Embassy can change the place of residence entry in your passport.

To do this, you must appear in person and present the following documents (original and additional copy):

  • Fully completed and signed application form
  • The passport to be changed
  • Deregistration certificate from Germany
  • Proof of residence for Malaysia (e.g. rental contract, employment contract or gas, water, electricity bill)

If you wish to have the place of residence changed in your child's passport, both guardians must appear in person and together and submit the above documents.

The change in the passport is free of charge.

Please book an online appointment.

Top of page