How do I apply?
- Read the information carefully
- Compile the necessary documents
- Complete the application form
- Book an online appointment with the German Embassy in Kuala Lumpur
- Bring all documents in original, plus one copy. Incomplete applications will not be accepted
What are the required documents?
- Application form, completed
- Original passport and a copy of the data page
- Current Malaysian residence Permit/visa
- Birth certificate
- Deregistration certificate from Germany, if applicable. If you are still registered in Germany, the Embassy can only issue a passport after authorization by the relevant passport authority in Germany. The authorization will be obtained by the Embassy
- Proof of residence in Malaysia (e.g. rental contract, employment contract or utility bill)
- 1 passport photo - ATTENTION: The photo must not be older than 6 months and must meet biometric specifications,
Additional documentation may be required on a case-by-case basis to prove name and/or citizenship. For example:
- Citizenship certificate and/or naturalization certificate
- Declaration of name after marriage
- marriage certificate
- Divorce certificate
If you are NOT a resident in the German Mission's Consular District or if you retain a German place of residence, the increased fee, including surcharge for applications
out-of-jurisdiction, apply to you.
Validity and Revalidation of Malaysian Visa
The Embassy points out that according to Malaysian law, a Malaysian visa automatically loses its validity if the passport containing the visa becomes invalid. This is the case, for example, when a new passport is issued and the previous passport is invalidated. You will then have to apply for the visa to be transferred into your new passport with the Malaysian Immigration Department.
Change of place of residence in passport or identity card
If you do not have a residence (apartment, house) in Germany anymore, you are required by law to “deregister” in Germany within two weeks. Failure to do so constitutes an offence and can be fined with up to 1,000 euros.
If you have deregistered in Germany, the Embassy can change the place of residence entry in your passport.