Legalization of Documents indicating the Civil Status (e.g. birth, marriage, death certificates)


Step 1 - Legalization by Wisma Putra/Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The respective document must first be legalized by the Consular Section of the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Wisma Putra in Putrajaya.
The Ministry will only stamp the original certificate, not a true certified copy of the document. For further information on the procedure and possible fees please contact the Ministry directly:

Wisma Putra
No. 1, Jalan Wisma Putra
Presint 2
62602 Putrajaya
Tel: 03-8887 4000 (General Line)
Fax: 03-8889 1717

Step 2 - Translation

In most cases a translation of the document is necessary as well. The translation should be done after the legalization via Wisma Putra to ensure that the stamp is translated as well.
For information regarding translation of documents, please refer to the document (Translators' List) at the bottom of this page.

Step 3 - Get the legalization done at the German Embassy

The legalization is done on the spot during our counter opening hours. You will have to book an appointment before coming to the Embassy. You have to present the original certificate that was legalized and stamped by Wisma Putra.


Note: You do not have to come to the Embassy in person, you can send a representative to get the legalization.

Lost Documents

For the re-issue of Malaysian personal documents (in case of loss, etc.), please contact the National Registration Department in Putrajaya:

Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN)
Blok 2G5, Presint 2
Pusat Pneradbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan
62100 Putrajaya
Tel: 03-8880 7000
Website: www.jpn.gov.my

Translation Services

Top of page